City of Madison History
Land was bought from John Anderson and at the time was a field of wheat. Many people moved from Lac qui Parle Village. Madison was located on the rail line of the Minneapolis and St. Louis Railroad. The name Madison was suggested by C.P. Moe in memory of his former home, Madison, WI.
Both the first freight and the first passenger train arrived.
Madison incorporated. Both Dawson and Madison started to petition for county seat status. The first county seat was in Lac qui Parle Village.
Madison’s population grew to 600.
The Independent Press moved from Lac qui Parle Village to Madison. Many of the homes in Lac qui Parle Village also moved to Madison. It was not uncommon to see a prairie house moving cross-country in the horizon.
Lac qui Parle County Fair began on present site.
Madison won county seat status.
New school building replaces old one which had been destroyed by fire.
Madison Milling Company was incorporated.
Common school district changed to an independent school district and a high school was organized. First graduate from Madison High School finished in 1897. The second graduate finished in 1898.
Courthouse was built.
City Hall was built.
School was expanded.
Through the years, four separate fires destroyed main street, which resulted in a lack of wood-framed buildings as main street buildings were replaced with modern brick structures.
Memorial Athletic Park erected.
Highest recorded population of 2,380.
High School burned.
The regional high school, Lac qui Parle Valley, began classes. Madison, Milan, Appleton and Marietta built a 7-12 school in the country centrally located among the cities.
New water and wastewater plants and water tower erected.